So, you’re looking to make a purchase online. Sure, the manufacturer of the product you’re looking for probably sells it directly from their website, but I would bet my late grandma’s broccoli and rice casserole that you could find it cheaper elsewhere.
For the purpose of this post, we are going to use the Emjoi Soft Caress Rechargeable Epilator (model #AP-10R) as an example. For those of you don’t know, and epilator is a device (primarily for women) which looks and functions much like an electric shaver, only instead of cutting the hair, it uses many tiny tweezers to pull the hair out of the skin. Sounds painful if you ask me. Nevertheless, my wife is in the process of purchasing one of these contraptions and I thought this would be a great time to do some price research.
The Emjoi AP-10R retails for $69.95 on the manufacturer’s website. I’m going to use the three websites below to find the same item at a lower cost. However, before reading on, keep these following points in mind:
- Prices are always changing (especially on eBay). If you’re reading this post a few weeks from when it was published or later, you will most likely find prices which are different from the ones I was able to find.
- Shipping was not considered here. For the sake of simplicity, I chose to quote only the lowest prices I could find. You will want to consider shipping prices when doing your own research because some online stores charge more for shipping than others.
Ok, let’s get started.
1. Froogle.com: Froogle.com, also known as Google Product Search (but Froogle is more fun to say), is always my first source when buying anything online. By doing a simple search for the item you are looking for, Froogle will scour the internet and reveal just about every online store which is selling your item. The search results will appear in order of relevance, however you can also sort them by price. I almost always find lower-than-retail prices for items when using Froogle. Did it work for the epilator? Let’s find out.
- By searching for “Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator” on Froogle, I was able to find the epilator for only $42.22. That’s a savings of 39.6%!
2. Amazon.com: Who hasn’t heard of Amazon? You can find just about everything you’re looking for on Amazon which is “America’s largest online retailer.” If I’m not satisfied with what I find on Froogle, this is my next stop. Let’s see what kind of prices Amazon can offer for our epilator.
- By searching for “Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator” on Amazon, I was able to find the epilator for only $47.94. That’s a savings of 31.5%!
3. eBay.com: eBay is an online auction website. For a small posting fee, website visitors can post their items on eBay for others to bid on. Items can also be sold for a set price if you so choose. You can find new stuff at low prices, however eBay is especially great if you’re looking for cheap used goods. For the sake of sanitation, I think I’ll stick with new epilators only. So what does eBay have to offer? Let’s get bidding.
- By searching for “Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator” on eBay, I was able to find the epilator for only $56.99. That’s a savings of 18.5%!
As you’ll notice, searching on Froogle.com yielded the lowest prices for our epilator. This isn’t always the case though, so research each of these sites every time you make an online purchase.
What other sites can you recommend for price research? Leave a comment and let others know!